Thursday, March 24, 2016

Storytelling for Week 9: FIRE


There it was, lying in front of them. This was the mysterious phenomenon the animals have all been waiting for. It flickered constantly, was a bright orange color that they had never seen before, and moved so elegantly in the wind as it blew. The water spider had just brought back fire in her bowl, and now all of the animals were sitting in a circle around the fire and just staring blankly into the flames. They all heard of the great flames that arrived and knew they must have it, but no one really understood why they were all obsessing over it. They had accomplished their goal of obtaining the fire but what was next? No one knew what to do with this so called “fire.” So they continued to stare at it for hours and hours. They were amazed by the glory of the flame and the bright future that it represented. They did not realize it at the time but at that exact moment they were having the very first campfire.

Finally, the water spider stepped forward and proposed they investigate the fire. This came as no shock to the other animals because the water spider was the only animal able to successfully return with fire, and was therefore seen as the bravest animal. It seemed only fitting that she was the one who tested out the fire and figure out its capabilities.

All of the other animals watched the spider with suspense as she approached the bowl, and everyone stayed silent as she did. She reached out one of her legs and slowly moved it toward the fire. Moments later she shot backwards with a scream. It did not take her long to figure out the that fire was extremely hot and would burn things. The animals knew then that fire was not something to be messed with. Fire was dangerous but it was also curious to them because it the colors and the way it flickered was so beautiful to them. It was the first time that they had experienced something that was both dangerous and beautiful.

After being burned the spider talked about this hot feeling the fire provided. With great caution the spider approached the fire again. She knew to not get close enough to touch it but just close enough to feel the heat. She described the feeling as being the sun at night. She said it was comforting and warm. This immediately provoked the other animals to want to feel the heat. They all lined up for the chance to get close to the fire. Each time a new animal stepped up to the fire they seemed very nervous but then every time they walked away from the fire they had this calm look of happiness on their face.

It did not take them very long to realize they could grow the fire in size to serve more creatures at once. There was a lot they still had to learn about the fire, but they were excited to do so. Everyone was amazed by the effects of the fire and were instantly grateful they had it in their life and for forever.

Author's Note: I wrote my story, FIRE, is based on and created for the story, The First Fire. The original story is about fire being place on Earth for the first time. In the story there are a wide variety of animals who take turns to go to the fire and try to retrieve it from a far away place. After a lot of attempts, a water spider is finally successful, and she brings back fire for all of the animals. The original story ends by just saying that she brought fire and they forever have fire. We never learn much detail about their life with fire. In my story I wanted to show how the animals reacted to the fire and what they first thought of it. I realized that it would be absurd to just assume that the animals would know what to do with the fire. The readers needed to know how the dealt with it. So I did not decide to change anything in my story, but instead I wrote an explanation and detail to make the original story a little bit more credible. I think readers will be able to understand the original better after reading my story.

Bibliography: This story is part of the Cherokee Myths unit. Story source: Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney (1900). It is based on the story, The First Fire.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, the beginning of your story is so great. The details really grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading. I thought it was funny how the animals were so intrigued by the fire. I also liked how grateful that characters were at the end of the story. I really enjoyed reading this story and think you have a very unique writing style! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the other Madison- your first paragraph was so well written and it grabbed my attention from the very beginning. I didn't really know where this story was going at first but I thought it was so funny that the animals were so mesmerized by it... I pictures almost like cavemen discovering fire for the first time. That poor water spider was so brave to test the fire out for all the others. I really appreciated how in your authors note you explained how and why your story developed in the way that it did. I agree that knowing more beyond when they first got the fire was important. I'm glad you thought of this and continued the story beyond to include how the animals felt and what they did to understand the fires capabilities. It was funny o me to see how grateful the animals were for the fire when all they thought it did was keep them warm; I wonder how happy they would be once they found out it cooked food, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow … what a great story is this? I also agree with the other two people. The introduction to your story very interesting and can grab anyone’s attention. It also makes the reader want to keep reading. The details you added to the story were so great and made me understand the original story more. Your great writing style made the story so interesting to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristine, I loved this story! I really like that you kept the original story but just expanded and added a new ending. Sometimes I get so caught up in rewriting a story that I forget it's a possibility to just keep the original story and add on to it. It's so interesting to read the animals first reactions to fire. It's like a small child or a puppy experiencing something new for the first time. They quickly learn what to do and what not to do. Your story was short, sweet and well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your story! I actually had a campfire last night with a handful of my friends and everything that was said in this story reminded me of last night. I agree in the fact that fire is fun and soothing to watch. It is forever changing and mesmerizing. I watched our fire constantly the entire time we were there. I can't imagine seeing fire for the first time and not knowing its purpose. I probably would've thought it was some sort of sorcery. You did a great job and it was very detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The details and imagery in your story are very good! I also read the original so I like how you expanded on that. I think you could have expanded even more. You could have gone a lot of ways with this story. Maybe explain how they learned to reproduce fire when they needed it. Maybe have a disaster when they accidentally put it out. There was a lot of options here. Overall I thought the writing was great and was a good extension of the original tale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you did a great job on this story. I picked this story because of the title. I was wondering what kind of story you would write with your title 'FIRE' you did a great job on writing a story. I really like how you decided to create the story based on the original story. I think it was more interesting and creative since we all know how dangerous the fire is in real life. I could see how much struggle that animals would have gone through when did not know how to use fire because they just obtained. I think your purpose of the writing story was successful. Your story was really interesting and good, I actually decided to read the original story. I did not know about the story before, so I am not sure if this story made it easier for me to understand the original story but for sure It was more enjoyable to read the original story because of your story that your wrote. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked your story! I like stories that explain the origin of things so I thought it was really cool you did one about fire. I never thought to think of seeing fire for the first time from the eyes of animals. I thought you did a really good job showing their perspective.Your story is really creative and well written. I thought you did a good job being creative and making your own twist off of the original story. Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete