Friday, April 1, 2016

Storytelling for Week 10: The Girl and the Frog

It was a cloudy evening and all of the tribe was gathered around among the trees in the forest. Iagoo was on the outside pondering the past. He was the wisest and the oldest of the tribe. He was the reason that the whole tribe was in the forest because he was about to lead a tradition. It was time that he told the sacred stories to pass them on to the younger children. As he turned around he could see that the tribe had already circled up around the fire. There was a place left for him right in the middle as a sign of respect. As he sat down he already knew what story he would share tonight. He would tell the tribe about the girl and the frog.

Once upon a time a girl sat on the very edge of a lake and she was very sad. Her name was Kimi, and no one in the tribe could figure out what was making Kimi so sad because she would not speak to anyone. Day in and day out she sat there pondering. She thought about how lonely she was and that she wanted a friend. However, Kimi felt like she didn’t fit in with the rest of the tribe. She thought she was different from everyone else.

Then one day as she was sitting there like she always did, she spotted a frog in the water struggling to swim. He was grasping onto a nearby rock and and looked to be fighting for his life. Kimi knew she had no choice but to save him. She jumped in the water and reached out to save the little fellow. She scooped him up in her hands and returned him safely to land. She feared he might not make it and she was so worried. After a couple minutes his little eyes opened and he thanked Kimi for her kindness and introduced himself as Lenape olelu. Then, something amazing happened. Kimi spoke back to Lenape olelu and without hesitation. In fact, the talked the whole rest of the day. She didn’t even realize until a couple hours later that she had made her first friend in this frog, but for some reason Lauren felt so comfortable with Lenape olelu. 


They spent a lot of time together over the next couple of weeks and they grew closer and closer. Everyone else in the tribe had taken notice. The girl who would never talk to anyone was now inseparable from a slimy little frog. It was all anyone could talk about because no one quite understood it. Then, one day as Kimi and Lenape olelu were alone together down by the lake where they met, Kimi began to express herself to Lenape olelu. She spoke of her great feelings for him and how much these past few weeks have meant to her. Then without even thinking she picked him up and planted a kiss right on his head.

Something magical began to happen. There were sparks of light and glitter and she could see Lenape olelu changing, and then it happened. There before her stood a handsome young man and Lenape olelu the frog was gone. Kimi was scared because she didn’t understand. Lenape olelu explained to her that her had been cursed and turned into a frog only to wait for true love's kiss. Kimi could see that he was still the same Lenape olelu he’d always been. The two were to be married the next day. And they lived happily ever after.

“The End,” said Iagoo.

Author's Note: I wrote this story by coming up with a new kind of story for Iagoo to share with his tribe. In the original story it sets up who Iagoo is as a person. It explains his purpose of storytelling, and it is the basis for the rest of the book because the remaining stories are the ones being told be Iagoo. Since I had been reading about American Indian Fairy Tales I decided to add in some more aspects from the traditional fairy tales I heard growing up. Most of the stories I read in this unit were not ones that I have previously read so they were still a very foreign for the most part. I wanted to add in some of my post knowledge. I tried to add in a little bit of the frog prince. I found this to be a particularly interesting story growing up and for some reason it just seemed like a good fit in this unit and this situation. My story is a different take on the princess and the frog and also a new edition to Iagoo’s stories and stories for the tribe. It is intended to teach a lesson to the tribe.
Bibliography: This story was created based on Iagoo, the Story-Teller. This story is part of the American Indian Fairy Tales unit. Story source: American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921).

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kristine! This is an amazing story, I really enjoyed reading it. I like this love story between a girl and frog since I was kid. That story was one of my favorite stories. I like the part when the frog turns into a man. Your writing style is so great, I felt like I was reading a completely different story. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine! I enjoyed reading your story--I thought that you captured the tribe's thoughts about the little girl who spent so much time alone really well. A lot of communities think it's weird when you spend time by yourself and think, because they think you're wallowing in your own self-pity! It did make me wonder, though--why did Lauren think she was different from everyone else? Did anyone from the tribe ever try to befriend her? Anyway, like I said, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristine! Your story was so fun to read. I love that you incorporated the fairytales that you grew up hearing with the Native American folklore. I love that the story started out with Lauren just saving a frog, then they ended up becoming best friends, and Ricky ended up being Lauren's prince charming and turned from a frog into a prince! Love story fairytales are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristine, I really enjoyed reading your story! Reading it brought back memories from my childhood. I remember hearing this story many times, and I love your new rendition. It makes it so much more relatable when the characters have names and you can actually visualize the setting. Your descriptions made it very easy for me to envision the scenes in my mind. Good job this week! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your story! I remember being young and seeing a frog or toad and my sister would always dare me to kiss it just like in this story! If only those would've turned into my future husband! You did a really great job telling the story and it was very enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristine--I really liked this story! I liked how you stuck to the original fairy tale but changed it up a bit. I thought that was really cool! I also liked that Lauren still saw Ricky for who he really was even though he changed forms. I liked how you still kept that in your story. Overall, great job and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kristine, great story! I loved how you changed it up but stuck to the original at the same time. This story definitely reminded me of when i was younger, as toads were my favorite animal. We would have tons of them outside our door in the summer time. I think this is a really unique story as well, making it very interesting to read. It was a really creative plot overall! Good job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute story! everyone has always heard the story of the princess and the frog and that is not where I thought this story was going, but it did and I loved it! I also read about Iagoo and all the stories he told to the tribe! This was very cute and creative! I liked how only her one true love made Lauren talk! Great story!

    ReplyDelete