Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary: Italian Popular Tales

For the thirteenth week in my Mythology and Folklore class I was told to read stories from a European unit. There were many areas that I found to be very interesting. I decided to focus on my efforts on a particular country. Today I will be reading stories from Italian Popular TalesThis selection of stories from the Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Crane provides a great introduction to the fabulously rich tradition of Italian folktales and fairy tales.


Zelinda and the Monster: right away it was easy to tell that this was a different version of Beauty and the Beast. I had no idea that this was originally an Italian story. I really enjoyed the way that the story added in the culture of the people. It has been a long time since I have seen the Disney movie of Beauty and the Beast, so while I was reading this story it was jogging my memories and reminding me of my childhood.

The Fair Angiola: after I finished the story I was able to understand that this was a version of the story we come to know as Rapunzel. The beginning of the story was very different though. I do not remember the witch being Rapunzel’s aunt, nor do I remember the witch hurting and threatening her. It was interesting to read a different version to this story. I know learned much more background information about how Rapunzel or for the purpose of the story, Angiola, came to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment