Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Week 11 Reading Diary, Continued: More English Tales

As I continued into week 11 I decided to stick with reading More English Fairy Tales in the British unit. I really enjoyed all of the stories I read yesterday so I thought I would just continue to learn even more about the unique fairy tales. The readings for this unit come from More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs, published in 1894 as a sequel to his English Fairy Tales of 1890.

The Three Wishes: When I first looked at the title I imagined something like a genie. I soon learned that I was kind of right in thinking it was a genie. The story is about a fairy granting a person who is less fortunate three wishes. However, the wishes the man asked for were not nearly as extravagant as I was expecting. I think that the ending was kind of a let down, but I still found it to be enjoying to read.

The King o’ the Cats: This story really excited me because I saw that it was about cats. As I have already explained, I love stories about animals. This story took a bit of a depressing turn with the death of someone in the story and the cats crying together in a depression. It was not really that happy story that I was expecting when I first began reading it.


No comments:

Post a Comment