Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Week 11 Reading Diary: English Fairy Tales

For week 11 we were instructed to read stories from the British unit. For my reading diary I decided to focus on English Fairy Tales. The readings for this unit come from English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs, published in 1890, which he followed with More English Fairy Tales in 1894.

The Story of the Three Little Pigs: I am sure that everyone has heard the story of the three little pigs at some point in my life. For me it has always been my favorite. I have two older sisters and we used to always call ourselves the three little pigs. That is why this story was one of my favorites in the unit. What was particularly great about this story is that it gave me the chance to hear the story a lot more in depth. I had never realized how violent it is. It talks about eating the pigs and boiling and eating a wolf. I am now surprised it is such a popular children’s story.


Mr. Fox: This is a story that I was not familiar with already, but it turned out to be a very interesting one. I assumed Mr. Fox was an actual fox and I was surprised to find out otherwise when I began reading the story. The story was tragic and gruesome. It reminded me of a serial killer. It was not at all what I expected when I began to read this story. I am glad that she confronted Mr. Fox in the end for killing all of those women.

No comments:

Post a Comment