Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary, Continued: Europa's Fairy Book

As I continued reading through the European unit, I saw and read so many interesting stories. However, for this reading diary I decided to focus my attention to Europa's Fairy Book. The stories are written by Joseph Jacobs. This unit consists of stories taken from a fascinating book he wrote called Europa's Fairy Book. Here Jacobs has chosen some of the fairy tales that he saw repeated again and again in different European traditions.

The Cinder-Maid: Naturally I am very familiar with the story Cinderella because it has always been a favorite from my childhood. I was interested to see how the story altered in this version of it. In the story I head I don’t believe that Cinderella’s father was a noble of the king’s court. Also I found it very strange that it was not a fairy godmother who helped her get ready for the ball, but it was a little bird and that scene was very short lived. In the story I heard it is a much bigger deal but it this story they kind of just blow over it very quickly. Although it is a little different from the story I know it this has the same message and overall plot line.


The Language of Animals: clearly this story caught my attention because of my love of animals. When I saw the title I had to know more, and I truly enjoyed reading it. It was a well told story that had a lot of vivid detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment